Apparently someone (Brendan Enrick) 'tagged' me almost a year ago and now I'm supposed to tell you 5 things you, whoever you are, don't know about me.
1. I'm almost a pilot. Took flying lessons back in HS and came this close || to actually finishing but ran out of time and money just before I was ready to take the test. However I was very pleasantly surprised to find out flying is somewhat like a bicycle in that once you learn you don't forget. After more then 10 years of never having flown a plane, I decided to take a quick 30 minute intro flight again and I managed to take off, fly and land the plane myself. The damage to the plane only came out to around $3000 ;) Ok, the landing was a tad bumpy, but the plane and everyone in it were undamaged.
2. I'm a dog person and since my last apartment didn't allow dogs, i got some ferrets instead. I still don't know how I decided that ferrets would be a good dog substitute. They are pretty darn cute and fun though. They also happen to be illegal in California so I had to smuggle them in from NV - or rather I mean if I lived in California i would have had to smuggle them in ;)
3. I do not have a single degree, not even a high school diploma. I'm mostly self taught. I started programming about 12-13 years ago by using frontpage to make an asp page that read from a database. I didn't like the way frontpage was rendering the page, signed up on an asp mailing list and started playing with the asp code frontpage generated and that's how I got started. So I owe my current career to frontpage's crappy html and to some very helpful people on the now defunct asplists.com mailing lists. The lack of a HS degree is mainly due to my own impatience with the NY educational system. Rather then run around on a soccer field for gym i decided to do homework instead. Apparently doing homework instead of playing games is grounds for not getting a diploma. Makes sense to me.
4. As Brendan mentioned in his post (and Steve mentioned in his) I too am a gamer. I play mostly online games. Currently that's Tabula Rasa, although I'm considering going back to WoW (shoot me now). And it's mostly PC games. Although I currently own three game consoles (xbox, wii and ps3) I never seem to get into them much. I'm not sure why. I think I'm just used to sitting in front of a PC :) I did play D&D back in JHS for a while. The first computer games I really remember playing are the Quest series of games from Sierra. Why doesn't anyone make games like that anymore? *sigh*
5. I once had the police show up at my apartment asking me if i felt ok and if i had any sharp objects or felt like hurting myself. This is because on those same mailing lists i mentioned in #3 someone had posted a message which sounded suicidal. At this point I had started to help moderate those lists. Doing what any reasonable person would do, I forwarded this message to the other moderators to ask if anyone knew this person and could help. And apparently some of those other moderators didn't pay enough attention to what they were reading and thought the message that I forwarded actually came from me. So being the not-paying-enough-attention and reasonable people that they were, they called the local police and told them I might be doing something harmful to myself. So at 7am there's a knock on my door and I'm trying to explain to the police officer what a mailing list is and hoping he doesn't notice the ferrets (which he did) which would be illegal if i were living in California which I'm not claiming i am. Fortunately though he didn't seem to know they were illegal which was very good for me, if i were living in California :)