ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView "Sort Grouping"

I am on bit experiment mood today, so I did a little tryout to see what it requires to add so called "sort grouping" into GridView. E.g when you have tabular data in GridView and you sort it based on some criteria, you'd want to better express those distinct items, based on which the grid is sorted. Here's a few screenshots of what I did, to demonstrate what I mean.

You have a list of people, say having first name, last name and dob, and when it's in default sort based on last name,.grid would show something like

And the same sorted with first name

And with DOB in descending order

It's not very complicated to do. I did it originally for DataGrid in v1.x and then thought to try with gridView.  It requires a small bit knowledge of internal control structure of GridView (finding that with experimenting is possible,  no unnamed tools necessary ;-) ), and some code. You can download code for this sample from here

Note! I did it the ugly way and all the code in the sample is so far on Page and getting the distinct data (for separator headers) takes its text from BoundField's Cell's Text. In case you'd use Labels etc. in TemplateFields, you'd need to customize it a bit more.

Update! In case you want easier and reusable approach (mine was based on quick tests and then right away posting about it), Agrinei has posted a sample with source codes, and he posted in on comments on this post :

Hi,

I build a class that allow grouping and some other cool things. You can create groups and summaries with a few lines of code as you can see below:

// Group by ShipRegion
protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
   GridViewHelper helper = new GridViewHelper(this.GridView1);
   helper.RegisterGroup("ShipRegion", true, true);
   helper.ApplyGroupSort();

There's an online sample at

There's a draft for an english article at

You can get the latest version of the source files at
Published Saturday, February 11, 2006 12:00 PM by joteke
Filed under:

Comments

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView "Sort Grouping"

Very nice Teemu. I am sure that many will find this example useful. I have seen some high available Grid controls, which does the grouping by drag/drop the columns into a grouping section. I think if you could implement that feature (via DHTML), then many will find this tutorial much more useful.
Saturday, February 11, 2006 12:36 PM by Sonu Kapoor

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView "Sort Grouping"

I found your blog through Scott Guthrie's reference to you, and for the first post I read... great job. Great example. I am already envisioning all the things i can do with controls that implenet this type of functionality.
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 8:20 AM by Jonathan Minond

Thank god!

I've been searching for this for a long time. I'm glad someone finally released an example without charging me.

Good work man.
Friday, February 17, 2006 11:21 AM by liming xu

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView "Sort Grouping"

Two things. First off, this works great and was 99% what I needed. Just tweaked what I needed and it works great.

With that said, it works great with a DataTable that extract and persist in the ViewState. However, when I bind the GridView to a SqlDataSource object it no longer works. It seems like it can't see any of the data. I am trying to figure it out with no luck so far (1st hour at least).

If you have any suggestions, that would be great.

TIA,
Kev
Monday, February 20, 2006 3:11 PM by Kevin

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView "Sort Grouping"

I did a test by switching to pubs sample database. I added SqldataSource with SelectCommand "select au_lname, au_fname from authors ORDER BY au_lname ASC", then modified GridView columns to be

<asp:BoundField DataField="au_lname" HeaderText="Last Name" SortExpression="au_lname" ItemStyle-Width="150" />
<asp:BoundField DataField="au_fname" HeaderText="First Name" SortExpression="au_fname" ItemStyle-Width="150" />
(note, sort expression must be the same as column name!)

Then I removed GetData and PopulateGrid methods in my sample (and calls to them), left ResolveGroupingData("au_lname") in Page_load, and otherwise I left it as-is. This one seems to work fine.

Are you using column auto-generating?
Tuesday, February 21, 2006 3:57 PM by Teemu

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView &quot;Sort Grouping&quot;

Thank you for the excellent code. Only one thing doesn’t work though. Try to add AllowPaging="true" to enable pagination.
You'll see the pager row is broken now.
Any idea why it happens?
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 12:23 PM by Igor

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView &quot;Sort Grouping&quot;

Say you add AllowPaging="true" PageSize="2" to the grid. You would needto apply the group logic and sort preservation into the logic.

Protected Sub grid1_PageIndexChanging(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridViewPageEventArgs) Handles grid1.PageIndexChanging
grid1.PageIndex = e.NewPageIndex
ResolveGroupingData(LastSortExpression)
PopulateGrid(LastSortExpression, LastSortDirection)
End Sub
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 12:59 AM by joteke

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView &quot;Sort Grouping&quot;

YAH... REALLY GREAT..:) is that posible to make it without refresh the page?
Thursday, March 30, 2006 3:55 AM by inheritance77

In fact, yes.

If you use Atlas, MS's own custom AJAX implementation (http://atlas.asp.net), you can have it without a refresh.

In fact, my GridView sample has been used with Atlas for demonstration:
Friday, March 31, 2006 5:09 AM by joteke

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView &quot;Sort Grouping&quot;

Nice solution, thank you. Recurring on Igor's comment: My pager breaks, too!

The auto-generated pager row is a GridView row with one cell containing a new table consisting of one row and cells for the page links. I use a right-aligned pager, which should show up over the rightmost column. But after grouping it appears on the first of the three columns and I cannot force it to it's intended position.

To reproduce this behaviour, just add the following to grid1 in the sample page:

AllowPaging="true" PagerSettings-Position="TopAndBottom" PageSize="2" PagerStyle-HorizontalAlign="Right"

Any clues?
Saturday, April 29, 2006 11:03 AM by Jost

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView &quot;Sort Grouping&quot;

... to be precise: The single cell in the GridView's pager row "forgets" it's colspan property as soon as I start messing with group header row insertion, and I cannot find any way to, say, set it to GridView.Columns.Count programmatically. Strange.
Saturday, April 29, 2006 3:50 PM by Jost

Jost,
have you applied the previous suggestion I made about PageIndexChanging?
Sunday, April 30, 2006 3:27 AM by joteke

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView &quot;Sort Grouping&quot;

Yes, but grouping/sorting functionality is not the problem, in fact it works absolutely fine.

Please hava a look at the screenshot found at http://www.nickel.de/perm/groupedgridpager.jpg.

For clarification purposes I have set the pager's backcolor to azure. As you can see, it does not render over the whole grid, but only on the first column. Tracing the pager row's colspan shows "3" in all events, but the HTML rendered finally lacks the pager cell's colspan property.
Sunday, April 30, 2006 6:47 AM by Jost

Me again. Finally, I've found a workaround:

Protected Sub GridView1_RowDataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As GridViewRowEventArgs)

If e.Row.RowType = DataControlRowType.Pager Then
 Dim td0 As TableCell = e.Row.Cells(0)
 Dim td1 As New TableCell
   With td1
     .ColumnSpan = 1
     .Visible = False
   End With
   e.Row.Cells.AddAt(0, td1)
   td0.ColumnSpan = GridView1.Columns.Count
 End If

End Sub

If I do *not* insert td1 into the row, td0.ColumnSpan = ... has no effect. As td1 is invisible, it is not being rendered into HTML, but it forces the colspan attribute to reappear.

Weird. Have I missed something?
Sunday, April 30, 2006 11:55 AM by Jost

Ah, I understand now.

You could do that in Render also where reference to the underlying Table is taken.

Dim table As Table = DirectCast(grid1.Controls(0), Table)

I don't have chance to test it right now, but if I'm not mistaken, Pagers should be first and last row in that table in that case. So, setting ColumnSpan straight to them at that phase should work.
Sunday, April 30, 2006 6:33 PM by joteke

Hi:
I just have a question, in the Render method, you were adding the columns to group by to a table, then you called base.render(writer), so you are adding just to the table and not to the gridview, how is the gridview updated?

thanks
Sunday, April 30, 2006 6:38 PM by Bilal

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView "Sort Grouping"

GridView basically is that table, Bilal. It uses that table I grab reference to, to show itself as a table. So essentially manipulating that internal Table is same as manipulating the GridView.
Sunday, April 30, 2006 6:50 PM by joteke

Maybe I am mixing here.
when you take the table reference and add controls to it, wouldn't this affect the foreach loop above? because the loop itself is looping through gridview rows, so adding rows to that table will cause a break in the loop right?
thanks,
Sunday, April 30, 2006 6:54 PM by Bilal

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView "Sort Grouping"

The issue you think is avoided with that

1) The row where header is added is already "dealed with" in the loop. E.g header rows is added afterwards when iterating

2) Newly added header rows isn't added via Table's Rows collection, but straight into Controls collection.

If you test it, you'll see that its not breaking (with the paging related stuff discussed earlier, reason is that the loop never touces pager rows and their cells)
Sunday, April 30, 2006 7:03 PM by joteke

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView "Sort Grouping"

>> GridView's rows aren't the whole truth. If you loop through that collection, it doesn't go through all rows in the internal table. Plus that Rows and Controls are separate collection in gridViews case (even though they mostly reference same objects)

How can I know this truth? I read in the MSDN documentation, but couldn't figure out that.

Can you please tell me how to figure out such details? I always read the MSDN docs but couldn't figure out that.

Thanks
Sunday, April 30, 2006 7:11 PM by Bilal

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView &quot;Sort Grouping&quot;

Reflector and healthy experimenting ;-)
Sunday, April 30, 2006 7:19 PM by joteke

Hi:
So how can by reflector know the sequence of things? For example, when is the RowDataBound fired, is it before or after RowCreated or so?
How can you know that there is a table inside the Gridview and that when adding rows to the table, you are adding directly to the control colelction and not Table Rows Collection?
I work with refletor but don't seem to know how to relate the things inside it!

Appreciate your help.
Monday, May 01, 2006 4:13 AM by Bilal

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView "Sort Grouping"

@joteke: That was my first attempt, but it didn't do the trick without the hidden column.

@ Bilal: Just have a look at your page trace; in the control tree you'll find System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridView, followed by its System.Web.UI.WebControls.ChildTable containing some System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridViewRows. Use Trace.Write() to surprise yourself with 'what' happens 'when' (and sometimes 'why' :-).
Monday, May 01, 2006 5:55 AM by Jost

Hi Jost:
TRace.Write() where mainly? you mean attach all events for GridView and use Trace.Write() inside each event to know how things are going? Or did you mean something else?

thanks
Monday, May 01, 2006 10:40 AM by Bilal

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView "Sort Grouping"

No. Just inspect the 'Control Tree' section *below* the 'Trace Information' section.
Monday, May 01, 2006 3:05 PM by Jost

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView "Sort Grouping"

I implemented this (a C# version) in the Blog Roll on my website. I modified it a little by hiding the column that is being grouped by.

To do this:
right before this line of the Render function:
If Not htLookUp.ContainsKey(text) Then

add this line:
row.Cells(_SortColumnIndex).Visible = False

Awesome code sample with plenty of practical use!!
Tuesday, May 16, 2006 10:04 PM by Chris Pietschmann

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView "Sort Grouping"

Did anybody figure out exactly how to get the colspan of the pager to be correct. This is not wanting to work for me at all. Tried the ideas above. Some code would be great!

Thanks
Jordan
Tuesday, June 06, 2006 6:54 PM by JMC

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView "Sort Grouping"

Nevermind. Got it working!
Wednesday, June 07, 2006 12:17 PM by JMC

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView "Sort Grouping"

has anyone used this code with populating the gridview from a dataset? I need to do something like this but my gridview is being populated from a dataset, also is it possible to remove the sorting capability so if the user clicks on a header column it doesn't give an error?
Thursday, June 08, 2006 8:51 AM by John

Hi,

// Group by ShipRegion
protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
   GridViewHelper helper = new GridViewHelper(this.GridView1);
   helper.RegisterGroup("ShipRegion", true, true);
   helper.ApplyGroupSort();

There's an online sample at http://www.agrinei.com/gridviewhelper/sample/gridviewhelpersample_en.aspx

There's a draft for an english article at http://www.agrinei.com/gridviewhelper/gridviewhelper_en.htm

You can get the latest version of the source files at http://www.agrinei.com/gridviewhelper/gridviewhelpersample_en.zip
Sunday, June 25, 2006 12:37 AM by Agrinei

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView "Sort Grouping"

I just finished fighting with the same issue that Jost found and gave a work-around for. Thanks Jost, I was going nuts. I've simplified the work-around and ended up with the following:

protected override void Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
{
   TableCell tc2 = new TableCell();
   tc2.Visible = false;
   BottomPagerRow.Cells.AddAt(0, tc2);
   base.Render(writer);

It seems somewhere inside the rendering the columnSpan of what is normally the only cell in the pager is reset. The reset is somehow based on the row at index 1, but it's not a simple count of columns in that row. I wish Microsoft would release the source for their controls! Anyway... the visible=false cell placed in front of the real cell captures the reassigned columnSpan value.
Monday, July 10, 2006 9:45 PM by Bernal Schooley

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView "Sort Grouping"

I'm fairly new to asp, so bear with me.  I have this function working fine without AutoEdit enabled, but when I enable AutoGenerateEditButton, it throws off the index by 1 due to the edit link added as the first column of the gridview.  I'm not savvy enough to trace the logical error or to amend the code to handle this.  Any help is appreciated.
Tuesday, July 11, 2006 3:40 PM by BigHitBoz

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView "Sort Grouping"

Works great for a stand-alone display of data, but the groups and summaries throw off the Datakeys references.
So if you have say a select button and select a row then the datakeys row which is derived from the underlying gridviewrow is out by the number of 'inserted' group and summary rows.

Any ideas how to code round this?
Tuesday, July 25, 2006 7:30 AM by Steve65

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView "Sort Grouping"

hey joteke's.  i am using c# as opposed to vb and I am having some trouble.  This line in particular is giving me an error...

Table theTable = (Table)gridSelected.Controls[0];

it says that "Specified argument was out of the range of valid values." and refers to the index of 0.  I am not really sure what is going on here.  any ideas?
Tuesday, July 25, 2006 3:11 PM by mark

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView "Sort Grouping"

The problem with the pager row(s) is that the column span is taken from the number of DataControlFieldCell instances in the first GridViewRow in the table with the RowType set to DataControlRowType.DataRow. Since the first row is a group header, which only contains standard TableCell instances, the column span for the first cell of both pager rows is set to 0.

The simplest solution is to change to row type for the group header rows. You could use DataControlRowType.Header, in which case the HeaderStyle will be applied to the group header row. If you use DataControlRowType.Separator, the style will not be changed.
Friday, August 04, 2006 12:27 PM by Richard

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView "Sort Grouping"

I too am running into the same problem boz and steve are. If you try to iterate through the GridViewRows collection, the index keys are off. We have a "one button updates all" on the grid, but the way the grid works now makes it impossible to match textboxes and their values to the correct index. It would be nice to have a fix for grids that may require edits.
Friday, August 04, 2006 2:03 PM by nick

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView "Sort Grouping"

Hello, the Grouping Function is working perfect, and looks nice... My Thanks for that!. But.... :-) i have a problem.

I Bind a datasource in the page load, and have 2 groups, above the rows, Header1, Header2,  and then the dataRow...

I put a button on my form, and, when i click at it, (posback is fired). the Gridview is messed up. In my Data Row i have two textboxes.
How can this be fixed?

My other question is that te Table in my page has more rows, than the Gridview.rows So when i loop through the gridview, and wanna get al the data out of the Texbox field within the gridview, i won't get them al.... I Hope somebody can help me.
Sunday, August 06, 2006 12:38 PM by Joey Moelands

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView "Sort Grouping"

I too am running into the same problem boz, steve and nick are... Any ideas how to code round this?
Monday, August 14, 2006 1:38 PM by Marcio

# 创建自定义排序用户界面

显示大量已经按类别(不是很多)排序的数据但没有类别分界线,用户很难找到所需要的类别。例如,数据库中只有9个类别(8个不同的类别和1个null),共81种产品.现在用一个GridView列出所有产品,假设有用户对类别Seafood的产品感兴趣,她一定会按类别排序,把Seafood产品排列在一起.排序后,用户便寻找Seafood产品开始和结束的地方。虽然是按英文字母排列类别不难找到Seafood,但仍要花些时间在GridView寻找。为了进一步的区分类别,许多网站使用类别分界线这种排序用户界面来区别不同的类别。例如像图1中的分界线可以使用户很快地找到需要的类别。..

Saturday, August 26, 2006 12:03 PM by ksnoopy

# Scott Mitchell 的ASP.NET 2.0数据操作教程之二十七:创建自定义排序用户界面

摘要:作者简介: Scott Mitchell,著有六本ASP/ASP.NET方面的书,是4GuysFromRolla.com的创始人,自1998年以来一直应用 微软Web技术。Scott是个独立的技术咨询顾问,培训师,作家,最近完成了将由Sams出版社出版的新作,24小时内精通ASP.NET 2.0。他的联系电邮为mitchell@4guysfromrolla.com,也可以通过他的博客http://ScottOnWriting.NET与他联系

Thursday, November 23, 2006 8:25 AM by ISFcn

Friday, April 13, 2007 3:00 AM by wanghr74

# 创建自定义排序用户界面

简介

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 8:01 PM by 穿石水滴

Monday, December 22, 2008 9:19 AM by Dusty

# GridView added rows non-persistent | keyongtech

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:10 PM by GridView added rows non-persistent | keyongtech

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView &quot;Sort Grouping&quot;

Hi I was trying this example without using SQLDatasource.below is my code.on page load i have put this code,but unfortunately i am getting error at this statement "helper.ApplyGroupSort();".but when i am using sql datasource it work fine.can you please help how do i do this with outusing SqlDatasource. DataSet DeptDs = TelDirectoryBOL.TelMaster_getAlldetails(0); GridView1.DataSource = DeptDs.Tables[0]; GridView1.DataBind(); helper = new GridViewHelper(this.GridView1, false); helper.RegisterGroup(DeptDs.Tables[0].Rows[0]["Tel_Off_DepartName"].ToString(), true, true); helper.ApplyGroupSort();
Thursday, March 05, 2009 8:45 AM by Mohd Hyder Ali

# update event dosen't fire when grouping gridView with gridviewhelper

I have a gridview with Edit enabled. It was working fine before I started using gridviewhelper. Now, the update event doesnt fire for some reason. I have managed to get around this issue by instantiating the gridviewhelper object only if the pageload event is not a postback: protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) { if(!Page.IsPostBack) {helper = new GridViewHelper(this.GridView1); helper.RegisterSummary("Amount", SummaryOperation.Sum);} } protected void GridView1_RowUpdated(object sender, GridViewUpdatedEventArgs e) { helper = new GridViewHelper(this.GridView1); helper.RegisterSummary("Amount", SummaryOperation.Sum); } Has someone got a better way to resolve this issue?
Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:57 AM by Akshat Kaul

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView &quot;Sort Grouping&quot;

In fact, any kind of commandfield/buttonfield field in the grid stops working if the gridviewhelper is used. This limits the usability of the class quite a bit.
Friday, March 13, 2009 11:45 AM by Akshat Kaul

thanx a lot
Sunday, March 15, 2009 8:04 AM by gkmnkc

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView &quot;Sort Grouping&quot;

Excelente trabajo joteke, felicidades.
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:55 PM by Mircko

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView &quot;Sort Grouping&quot;

regarding the gridviewhelper i don't know but i tried to use it and the only thing that happen is the column to be group is hidden but the grouping row is not shown
Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:22 PM by Edson

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView &quot;Sort Grouping&quot;

Hi, I have imagebutton in the gridview. when i click it i need to delete that row based on the datakey. but i am not able to get the exact index of the row.since it is inserting new row for all group header. please help me on this. Thanks, Magi
Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:38 AM by Maheswari

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView &quot;Sort Grouping&quot;

please check the download file link, it is not working. thanks
Wednesday, January 20, 2010 10:10 AM by x

# Pontiac Grandville Honda, 2006 Pontiac Grandville Parts

# Gs450h Part Ls430 Lexus Is350, Lexus Gs430 Car

Thursday, May 20, 2010 4:54 PM by Gs450h Part Ls430 Lexus Is350, Lexus Gs430 Car

# Sc1 Part 2003 Saturn Ion 3, Sc1 Space

Friday, May 21, 2010 12:27 AM by Sc1 Part 2003 Saturn Ion 3, Sc1 Space

# 2008 Bmw 745i Specs, 745i Aftermarket Sale

Friday, May 21, 2010 5:51 AM by 2008 Bmw 745i Specs, 745i Aftermarket Sale

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView &quot;Sort Grouping&quot;

Im using the GridViewHelper from http://www.agrinei.com/gridviewhelper/sample/gridviewhelpersample_en.aspx It works very well. The problem i'm having, i have a button on my GridView, it sometimes fires the click event and sometimes doesn't. When it fires the event, sometimes i get the Current Row data sometimes I don't. What could be the problem? Please help. Thank you in advance
Monday, September 13, 2010 3:19 AM by pcmor

# re: ASP.NET 2.0: Playing a bit with GridView &quot;Sort Grouping&quot;

I also had this problem since last week. Thanks for this post! I got to at least get rid of the problem. I'm back to firefox.
Thursday, October 28, 2010 2:04 AM by Abercrombie Online