Monday, August 14, 2006 9:06 PM
ASP.NET 2.0 Data Controls Tips & Tricks Talk at VT .NET UG
I presented my new and improved talk on ASP.NET 2.0 Data Control Tips & Tricks tonight (August 14, 2006) in Burlington VT at Julie Lerman's wonderful VT .Net User Group. (Post-script: Julie has also blogged about the meeting and includes a photo too!)
There were 27 people there for my talk and I thought it went quite well. I introduced the Data and Data Souce controls and built a few pages to show how the controls worked. Then I spent quite a bit of time discussing how one hooks their own code into the controls and finished with the following 8 Data Control How-Tos:
How do I…
1. Filter one data control based on another?
2. Set a default value of a control for an insert?
3. Confirm a record delete for a data control?
4. Use a drop-down control for editing with a data control?
5. Update fields that aren’t shown (e.g., time stamp fields) when a row is updated?
6. Refresh one control when another changes?
7. Not pass an identity column during an insert to the database? …and… After the insert, retrieve the newly inserted record, complete with identity column?
8. Handle exceptions?
If you're interested in the slides and samples, you can download them from www.deeptraining.com/litwin.