Sebastopol, CA—Want to build apps for Android devices? Learning Android (O'Reilly Media, $34.99 USD) is the perfect way to master the fundamentals. Written by Marko Gargenta (@Marakana), an expert who has taught this mobile platform to hundreds of developers in large organizations, this gentle introduction shows experienced object-oriented programmers how to use Android's basic building blocks to create user interfaces, store data, connect to the network, and more.
"Android is the number one mobile platform, and many developers want to create applications for it," says Gargenta. "Android development is one of the biggest waves of this year. Developing for the tablets is next on the horizon. (I'm already working on Honeycomb book to address that.) In Learning Android, the reader will pick up the skills to develop any reasonably complex Android application."
You'll build a Twitter-like application throughout the course of this book, adding new features with each chapter. Along the way, you'll also create your own toolbox of code patterns to help you program any type of Android application with ease.
· Get an overview of the Android platform and discover how it fits into the mobile ecosystem
· Learn about the Android stack, including its application framework, and the structure and distribution of application packages (APK)
· Set up your Android development environment and get started with simple programs
· Use Android's building blocks—Activities, Intents, Services, Content Providers, and Broadcast Receivers
· Learn how to build basic Android user interfaces and organize UI elements in Views and Layouts
· Build a service that uses a background process to update data in your application
· Get an introduction to Android Interface Definition Language (AIDL) and the Native Development Kit (NDK)
For more information please email email@example.com. Please include your contact information.
About the Author
Marko Gargenta is the founder and chief Android expert at Marakana, a training company in San Francisco. Marko has developed Android Bootcamp and Android Internals courses, and has trained over 1,000 developers on four continents. His clients include Qualcomm, Sony-Ericsson, Motorola, Sharp, Cisco, U.S. Department of Defense, and many more. Marko frequently speaks on Android at technical conferences and events, and is the founder of San Francisco Android Users Group.
View Marko Gargenta's full profile page.
For more information about the book, including table of contents, author bios, and cover graphic, see: http://oreilly.com/catalog/0636920010883
Publisher: O'Reilly Media
By Marko Gargenta
Print ISBN: 9781449390501 Ebook ISBN: 9781449390518
Print Price: $34.99 Ebook Price: $27.99
O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
# # #
O'Reilly is a registered trademark of O'Reilly Media, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.